Ready to use WordPress interface for OpenSimulator. Provides user registration, default avatar model choice, login info, statistics and a web assets server for grids or standalone simulators.
See Features and Roadmap sections for current and upcoming functionalties.
- Grid info:
[gridinfo]shortcode and admin dashboard widgets
- Grid status:
[gridstatus]shortcode and admin dashboard widgets
- Avatar creation:
- Opensimulator section in standard wp account page
[gridprofile]shortcode can be inserted in any custom page
- Avatar tab in account dashboard on WooCommerce websites
- Choose avatar look from default models
- Avatar and website passwords are synchronized
- Web profiles: excerpt of the avatar’s profile
- Reserved names: avatar whose first name or last name is “Default”, “Test”, “Admin” or the pattern used for appearance models are disallowed for public (such avatars must be created by admins from Robust console)
- Web assets server: the needed bridge to display in-world images on a website
- Helpers: currency, search, offline messages
- OpenSimulator settings page:
- grid name, login uri and database connection settings
- naming scheme of default models
- exclude models from grid stats
- Web asset server
- Login page / Widget
- Manual and cron Grid/WP users sync
- Public avatar profile
- Auth with avatar credentials (if no matching wp account, create one)
The free version from WordPress plugins directory and the paid version are technically the same. The only difference is the way you support this plugin developement: with the free version, you join the community experience (please rate and comment), while the paid version helps us to dedicate resources to this project.
See (https://github.com/GuduleLapointe/w4os/) for complete status and changelog.
- [x] get grid info from http://login.uri:8002/get_grid_info
- [x] Web Assets server
- [x] Helpers (search, currency, map…)
- Improve avatar profile
- Switch to allow web profile
- Switch set in-world prefs for public profiles
- Better basic layout
- Web edit profile
- Admin Start / Stop regions
- Admin Create region
- Admin Use sim/grid configuration file to fetch settings if on the same host
- Admin create users
- Admin create models (from current appearance)
- Deactivate (recommended) or delete (experimental) grid user when deleting wp account
- Choice between Robust console or database connection
- User’s own regions control (create, start, stop, backup)
- WooCommerce Subscriptions integration for user-owned Regions or other pay-for services
- 2do HYPEvents project integration https://2do.pm
- Gudz Teleport Board project integration (based on user picks)
- separate OpenSimulator libraries and WordPress specific code, to allow easy integration in other CMS
This plugin provides 1 block.
- w4os - OpenSimulator Web Interface
- Robust server must be installed before setting up W4OS.
- To allow users to choose an avatar on registration, you must enable user
profiles in Robust.HG.ini (update [UserProfilesService], [ServiceList] and
- You should have a working assets server (see Dependencies section below)
- Download and activate the latest stable release
- Visit OpenSim settings (admin menu > “Opensim” > “Settings”)
- Enter your grid name and grid URI (like example.org:8002 without http://)
- Enter your robust database connection details and submit. If you get a
database connection error, it might come from a case-sensitivity issue (see
[gridstatus]shortcodes in a page or in a sidebar widget
- Set permalinks and profile page
- Visit Settings > Permalinks, confirm W4OS slugs (profile and assets) and save.
- Create a page with the same slug as Profile permalink.
(This will be handled in a more convenient way in the future)
Create avatar models
Avatar models are displayed on new avatar registration and allow new users to start with another appearance than Ruth.
- Check (or change) their naming convention in Admin > OpenSimulator > Settings > Avatar models
- From robust console, create a user named accordingly (for example, “Female Default”, Default John”, …).
R.O.B.U.S.T. # create user Default John
Email : (leave empty)
User ID (enter for random) : (leave empty)
Model name : (leave empty)
15:27:58 - [USER ACCOUNT SERVICE]: Account Default John xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx created successfully
- A password is needed as you need connect in-world to configure it.
Choose a strong password, any hack could affect all new users.
- FirstName or LastName has to match your W4OS Avatar models settings
- The rest of the name will be displayed in the form, so make it relevant
- You can leave “Email” and “User ID” blank
- Leave “Model Name” blank, you are creating a model, not using an existing model to create a user
- A password is needed as you need connect in-world to configure it.
- Connect in-world as this avatar and change outfit. Any worn clothing or attachment will be passed to the new avatars. Be sure to wear only transfer/copy items.
- Make a snapshot and attach it to this account profile
The model will now appear in new avatar registration form, with its profile picture.
These accounts will be excluded from grid statistics.
Web Asset Server: the project requires a web asset server to convert simulator assets (profile pictures, model avatars…) and display them on the website. W4OS provides a web assets service, or you can specify an external web assets service URL instead.
PHP Modules: w4os requires php imagemagick module. Also, while they are not required, WordPress recommends activating PHP curl and xml modules. They are also recommended by W4OS for full functionalties.
Do I need to run the website on the same server?
No, if your web server has access to your OpenSimulator database.
Can I use this plugin for my standalone simulator?
Yes, it works too. Use OpenSim database credentials when requested for Robust credentials.
Why can’t I change my avatar name?
This is an OpenSimulator design limitation. Regions rely on cached data to display avatar information, and once fetched, these are never updated. As a result, if an avatar’s name (or grid URI btw) is changed, the change will not be reflected on regions already visited by this avatar (which will still show the old name), but new visited region will display the new one. This could be somewhat handled for a small standalone grid, but never in hypergrid context. There is no process to force a foreign grid to update its cache, and probably never will.
Contributors & Developers
“w4os – OpenSimulator Web Interface” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“w4os – OpenSimulator Web Interface” has been translated into 2 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Interested in development?
- updated translations
- fix userprofile table queried even if not present (issue #64) when User Profiles are not enabled on robust
- fix fatal error Argument #2 ($haystack) must be of type array, bool given (issue #64)
- fix offline messages not forwarded by mail (opensim db not properly loaded by helpers)
- updated translations
- tested up to 6.0.1
- fix profile picture aspect ratio (4/3, as in viewer)
- added password reset link to profile page
- fix fatal error in helpers for poorly encoded unicode text sources
- fix fatal errors in helpers when database is not connected
- fix #57 password not updated on grid when using password recovery in WordPdress
- fix regression in 2.3.1
- fix fatal error and warnings with popular-places shortcode
- avoid fatal error if php xml-rpc is not installed, show error notice instead
- new search helper
- new offline messages helper. Messages are stored in OfflineMessageModule V2 format, so one can switch between core and external service (fix #47)
- new currency helpers
- new Popular Places block and [popular-places] shortcode
- new events parser (fetch events from 2do.pm or another HYPEvents server)
- added prebuilt binaries for opensim 0.9.1 and 0.9.2
- added currency conversion rate setting
- dropped aurora and OpenSim 0.6 support
- separate helpers settings page
- helpers migrated from old mysqli db connection method to PDO
- tested up to wp 5.8.3
- updated translations
- new web assets server
- new profile page
- new config instructions for new grid users
- new blocks support
- new grid and wordpress users sync
- new grid based authentication; if wp user exists, password is reset to grid password; if not, a new wp user is created
- new admin can create avatars for existing users
- new grid info settings are fetched from Robust server if set or localhost:8002
new check grid info url validity (cron and manual)
added option to replace name by avatar name in users list
- added profile image to gridprofile
- added assets permalink settings
- added states in admin pages list for known urls (from grid_info)
- added lost password and register links on login page
- added buttons to create missing pages on status dashboard
- added Born and Last Seen columns to users list
- added hop:// link to login uri
- added in-world profile link to profile page
added Partner, Wants, Skills and RL to web profile
removed Avatar section from WooCommerce account page until fixed
- removed W4OS Grid Info and W4OS Grid Status widgets (now available as blocks)
- fix duplicate admin notices
- fix squished profile picture
- fix avatar not created, or not created at first attempt
- fix inventory items not transferred to new avatars
- fix errors not displayed on avatar creation page
- fix avatar model not shown if default account never connected
- fix missing error messages on login page
- fix user login broken if w4os_login_page is set to profile and OpenSim database is not connected
- fix a couple of fatal errors
- fix slow assets, store cached images in upload folder to serve them directly by the web server
fix Fatal error Call to undefined function each()
show a link to profile page instead of the form in profile shortcode
- responsive profile display for smartphones
- show image placeholder if profile picture not set
- added imagick to the recommended php extensions
- lighter template for profiles when loaded from the viewer
- guess new avatar name from user_login if first name and last name not provided
- replace wp avatar picture with in-world profile picture if set
- use version provided by .version if present
- More comprehensive database connection error reporting
- added login form to gridprofile shortcode when not connected instead of login message
- added w4os-shortcode classes
- added screenshots
- fix fatal error when trying to display WooCommerce Avatar tab form in My Account
- fix localisation not loading
- shorter “Avatar” label, removed uuid in gridprofile shortcode
- Now distributed via WordPress plugins directory
- Official git repository changed to GitHub
- renamed plugin as W4OS – OpenSimulator Web Interface
- fix other WP plugins directory requirements
- fix localizations not loading
- fix regression, automatic updates restored. Users with version 2.0 to 2.0.3 will need to reinstall the plugin from source. Sorry.
- use plugin dir to detect slug instead of hardcoded value
- renamed [w4os_profile] shortcode as [gridprofile] for consistency. w4os_profile is kept for backwards compatibility
- fix #2 Database check fails if mysql is case insensitive
- fix #4 Database connection error triggered if userprofile table is absent
- fix #10 invalid JSON response when adding [w4os_profile] shortcode element
- fix wrong letter cases in auth table name
- fix only show profile form for current user
- better css loading
- only check once if w4os db is connected
- added login page link to message displayed when trying to see profile while not connected
- more detailed error messages for avatar creation
- added changelog, banners and icons to view details
- fix “Yes” and “No” translations
- fix typo in banners and icons urls, can’t believe I didn’t see this before…
- fixed conflict with other extensions settings pages
- changed update server library to frogerme’s WP Plugin Update Server
- For full change history see GitHub repository