- Customizable aspect for the chessboards (orientation, size, etc…).
- Support comments and sub-variations in PGN-encoded games.
- Support HTML formatting in PGN comments.
- Support several chess variants:
- Colored square and arrow markers.
- Compatibility mode to avoid conflicts with the other plugins that use the
- Upload PGN files and load PGN data from a URL.
- Diagram block with its editor embedded in the WordPress post/page editor.
- Multi-language support.
If you encounter some bugs with this plugin, or if you wish to get new features in the future versions, you can report/propose them in the GitHub bug tracker.
If you are interested in translating this plugin into your language, please contact the author.
Custom developments in relation with RPB Chessboard (e.g. specific feature, advanced customization…) can be realized by the author as a paid service. If you need to have such custom developments for your website, please feel free to contact the author.
Yoann Le Montagner
Jan Jílek (Czech), Markus Liebelt (German), Yoann Le Montagner (English and French), Martin Frith (Spanish), Andrea Cuccarini (Italian), Ivan Deceuninck (Dutch), Dawid Ziółkowski (Polish), Rewbenio Frota (Brazilian Portuguese), Sergey Baravicov (Russian), Ali Nihat Yazıcı (Turkish).
Pieceset CBurnett has been created by Colin M.L. Burnett, who shares it under the [CC-BY-SA] license on Wikimedia Commons; user Antonsusi has also contributed to this work. Piecesets Celtic, Eyes, Fantasy, Skulls and Spatial have been created by Maurizio Monge, who makes them freely available for chess programs. Colorsets Coral, Dusk, Emerald, Marine, Sandcastle and Wheat have been proposed in this blog post by Gorgonian. Icon Tick has been created by Momentum Design Lab, who shares it under the [CC-BY] license on Find Icons. Icon Not-Found has been created by gakuseiSean, who makes it freely available for non-commercial use on Find Icons. Icon Help has been created by Ruby Software, who shares it as a freeware on Find Icons.
The author would like to thank all these people for their highly valuable work.
- Download rpb-chessboard.zip and upload its content to the
/wp-content/plugins/directory of your website.
- Activate the plugin through the Plugins menu in WordPress.
- You are now able to put
[pgn][/pgn]tags in your posts and pages to insert chess diagrams and full chess games. Please look at the Chess > Memo menu (created by the plugin) for examples of how to use these tags.
For extensive details about plugin installation and management, please have a look to the general plugin management page.
How to find help?
First, look at the plugin help page. This help page is available in the administration section of your WordPress website: in the main navigation menu > Chess > Help. If no answer can be found there, ask your question on this forum.
I encounter a bug, or I think the plugin misses a key feature…
Please expose your case on the forum! Usually, bugs get fixed very quickly after being reported. Feature requests are discussed, and then implemented if relevant.
The plugin is not available in my language, I want to translate it.
Please contact the author for this.
Contributors & Developers
“RPB Chessboard” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
6.4.1 (January 27, 2022)
- Tested up to WordPress 5.9.
- Upgrade dependencies.
6.4.0 (October 22, 2021)
- Add square annotations plus/times/dot/circle (see #218).
6.3.0 (September 27, 2021)
- Add support for Horde chess (see #167).
6.2.2 (September 19, 2021)
- Cleanup and upgrade dependencies.
6.2.1 (August 15, 2021)
- Support castling moves encoded with zeros (see #142).
6.2.0 (July 25, 2021)
- Tested up to WordPress 5.8.
- Add support for Antichess (see #187).
6.1.0 (June 26, 2021)
- Add text field to allow copy/paste FEN in the diagram editor (see #211).
6.0.2 (June 6, 2021)
- Fix navigation board size issue in popup frame on small-screen devices (see #208).
6.0.1 (May 30, 2021)
- Fix plugin crash encountered with old PHP versions (before PHP 7.3).
6.0.0 (May 30, 2021)
- Add chess diagram block with its editor to the Gutenberg-based WordPress page/post editor.
- Drop support for the old TinyMCE-based WordPress page/post editor.
- Significant code refactoring of the chess diagram widget, which is now released as a standalone NPM library (kokopu-react).
5.9.3 (May 17, 2021)
- Tested up to WordPress 5.7.
- Italian translation (thanks to Andrea Cuccarini).
5.9.2 (February 6, 2021)
- Rollback square marker rendering to plain square (as it used to be until version 5.9.0).
5.9.1 (January 10, 2021)
- Render square markers with a plain circle.
5.9.0 (January 3, 2021)
- Tested up to WordPress 5.6.
- Enable arrow/square marker color customization (see #190).
- Implement square annotation with letter/digit (see #192).
- Fix alignment issue with float-right navigation board (see #191).
5.8.1 (November 18, 2020)
- Fix arrow tip issue (see #185).
5.8.0 (August 22, 2020)
- Tested up to WordPress 5.5.
- Handle games with no king (see #171).
5.7.1 (July 30, 2020)
- Brazilian Portuguese translation (thanks to Rewbenio Frota).
5.7.0 (June 20, 2020)
- Tested up to WordPress 5.4.
- Implement lazy-loading for CSS assets (see #135) and introduce a compatibility option to disable this feature.
5.6.9 (February 9, 2020)
- Fix some typos in the Spanish translation.
5.6.8 (February 1, 2020)
- Fix some typos in the Spanish translation.
5.6.7 (February 1, 2020)
- Spanish translation (thanks to Martin Frith).
5.6.6 (December 22, 2019)
- Fix annotation arrows (regression from 5.6.5).
5.6.5 (December 20, 2019)
- Improve PGN parsing robustness to linebreak issues (see #155).
5.6.4 (November 24, 2019)
- Tested up to WordPress 5.3.
- Czech translation for frontend (thanks to Jan Jilek).
5.6.3 (June 8, 2019)
- Fix corner case issues occurring in PGN parsing.
5.6.2 (May 13, 2019)
- Tested up to WordPress 5.2.
- Fix diagrams/games not rendered with themes that do no include jQuery by default (see #154).
5.6.1 (April 21, 2019)
- Fix disambiguation issue on rook move (see #153).
5.6 (April 20, 2019)
- Fix PGN parsing error encountered with lichess syntax for %csl/%cal (see #151).
- Add support for advanced NAGs (see #152).
5.5.3 (March 23, 2019)
- Fix PGN parsing error encountered with games downloaded from lichess.org (see #149).
5.5.2 (March 10, 2019)
- Fix PGN parsing issue (see #146).
5.5.1 (February 23, 2019)
- Tested up to WordPress 5.1.
- Lazy-loading of CSS assets does not work with some themes (see #145): revert this feature.
5.5 (February 9, 2019)
- Load CSS/JS assets only when necessary in the frontend (see #135).
5.4.4 (January 1, 2019)
- Tested up to WordPress 5.0.
- Code cleanup.
5.4.3 (October 27, 2018)
- Fix (again) page/post rendering for Gutenberg (see #137).
5.4.2 (August 25, 2018)
- Fix scroll area sizing in hidden chessgames (see #141).
5.4.1 (August 12, 2018)
- Fix animation issue occurring on small-screen devices (see #136).
- Fix page/post rendering for Gutenberg (see #137).
- Fix diagrams not working in Chess960 games (see #138).
5.4 (July 22, 2018)
- Add support for Chess960, aka. Fischer Random Chess (see #15).
5.3.3 (July 9, 2018)
- Fix invalid move notation issue (see #134).
5.3.2 (July 8, 2018)
- Fix security issue (see #133).
5.3.1 (July 7, 2018)
- Fix security issue (see #132).
5.3 (May 26, 2018)
- Fix diagram issues (see #130 and #131):
[pgndiagram]is no-longer available. From now on, the standard
[#]should be used instead.
- Fix security issue (see #122): refactor DOM building process and set-up proper HTML sanitization where needed.
- Refactor move generation/validation + PGN parsing code as a standalone NPM library (Kokopu).
5.2.2 (May 1, 2018)
- Fix page jump issue (see #129).
5.2.1 (April 8, 2018)
- Fix scrolling issue (see #128).
5.2 (April 2, 2018)
- Fix several code security issues (see #116, #117, #118, #119, #120 and #121).
- Image size optimization.
- IE 8 not supported anymore.
5.1.6 (January 7, 2018)
- Fix scrolling issue (see #111).
- Enforce WP coding conventions and code cleanup.
- Chess font size optimization.
5.1.5 (January 1, 2018)
- Fix several issues affecting mobile devices (see #101, #104 and #105).
5.1.4 (December 3, 2017)
- Add the “Fix jQuery’s buttons” option as a workaround for conflicts with Bootstrap-based plugins and themes.
5.1.3 (November 26, 2017)
- Tested up to WordPress 4.9.
- Fix scrollLeft/scrollRight rendering on small-screen devices (see #101).
5.1.2 (October 26, 2017)
- Fix missing jQuery dependencies (possible cause of #99).
5.1.1 (October 15, 2017)
- Fix browser-related issue with the keyboard shortcut feature.
5.1 (October 15, 2017)
- Add keyboard shortcuts on the navigation board (see #48).
- Add a “Donate” button.
5.0.1 (October 14, 2017)
- Change the text domain to comply with WP.org recommendations.
5.0 (July 9, 2017)
- Tested up to WordPress 4.8.
- Allow navigation board flipping (see #70).
- Add a button to let readers download PGN data (see #78).
- Refactor file and CSS class naming.
- Improve memo/help pages to take into account theming and default settings.
4.8.1 (April 23, 2017)
- Workaround so that FEN works within bbPress content.
4.8 (April 23, 2017)
- Allow left/right alignment for diagrams (see #81).
- Minor fixes.
4.7 (January 16, 2017)
- Enable .pgn file uploading.
- Loading PGN data from a URL (see #50).
4.6.2 (January 2, 2017)
- Tested up to WordPress 4.7.
- Fix arrow refresh issue (see #76).
4.6.1 (November 12, 2016)
- Russian translation (thanks to Sergey Baravicov).
4.6 (November 6, 2016)
- Add scrollLeft/scrollRight positions for the navigation board.
4.5 (October 15, 2016)
- Add theming feature.
4.4 (August 31, 2016)
- Tested up to WordPress 4.6.
- Add keyboard shortcuts to the FEN editor (see #67).
4.3.3 (August 7, 2016)
- Fix animation not working when clicking on text moves (see #68).
4.3.2 (July 3, 2016)
- Fix wrong colorset/pieceset parameters in navigation frame (see #66).
4.3.1 (June 16, 2016)
- Tested up to WordPress 4.5.
- Minor fixes.
4.3 (March 10, 2016)
- Add colorset and pieceset customization parameters (see #13 and #29).
4.2.3 (January 21, 2016)
- Fix PGN parsing issue (see #53).
4.2.2 (December 20, 2015)
- Tested up to WordPress 4.4.
- Add cache for dynamic CSS.
4.2.1 (November 22, 2015)
- Fix rendering of NAG $11 (see #51).
4.2 (November 15, 2015)
- Add move animation and highlighting (see #39).
- Refactor organization of PHP classes.
4.1.4 (September 2, 2015)
- Tested up to WordPress 4.3.
- Turkish translation (thanks to Ali Nihat Yazıcı).
4.1.3 (August 15, 2015)
- Fix click-on-image-not-working issue in IE (see #43).
4.1.2 (August 1, 2015)
- Fix arrow-head issue in Chrome (see #40).
4.1.1 (July 27, 2015)
- Fix small-screen related issue (see #41).
- Fix navigation frame sizing issue occurring with some themes.
4.1 (July 7, 2015)
- Add: option to get navigation board above/below the move list.
4.0.2 (June 17, 2015)
- Fix syntax issue.
4.0.1 (June 17, 2015)
- Fix compatibility issue with PHP <= 5.3 (see issue #37).
- Force JS/CSS file reloading each time the version of the plugin changes.
4.0 (June 6, 2015)
- Add support for square highlights and arrow (see issue #27).
- Refactor the help pages.
3.6.2 (April 26, 2015)
- Tested up to WordPress 4.2.
- Add help on null moves.
3.6.1 (April 18, 2015)
- Null-move support (see issue #35).
3.6 (March 29, 2015)
- Improve FEN/PGN parsing error messages (see issue #11).
3.5.1 (March 15, 2015)
- Fix: make
flipattribute work on tag
[pgndiagram](see issue #32).
3.5 (February 22, 2015)
- Add options to customize chessboard appearance on small-screen devices (see issue #26).
3.4.3 (January 26, 2015)
- Tested up to WordPress 4.1.
- Add: scroll the document to the selected move if it is not visible (see issue #28).
3.4.2 (November 23, 2014)
- Sprite system refactoring to allow responsive web design (see issue #26).
- Fix file-collapse issue (see #25).
3.4.1 (November 17, 2014)
- Fix localization not working on frontend.
3.4 (October 26, 2014)
- Refactor edit-FEN dialog and make it available in TinyMCE editor.
3.3 (September 6, 2014)
- Tested up to WordPress 4.0.
- Dutch translation (thanks to Ivan Deceuninck).
- Minor fixes.
3.2.3 (August 30, 2014)
- Fix issue with occurring with
[pgn][/pgn]tags in non-post/page contexts.
3.2.2 (August 30, 2014)
- Fix issue with occurring with
[fen][/fen]tags in non-post/page contexts.
3.2.1 (August 26, 2014)
- Fix plugin set-up for non-standard WordPress install configurations.
3.2 (August 13, 2014)
- Improve date rendering and localization.
- Minor fixes.
3.1 (July 27, 2014)
- Polish translation (thanks to Dawid Ziółkowski).
- Minor fixes.
3.0 (July 14, 2014)
- Add: cancel/reset buttons in the setting pages.
- Minor fixes.
2.99.1 (June 27, 2014)
- Fix compatibility issue with PHP <= 5.2.
- CSS classes for light- and dark-squares (see issue #13).
2.99 (June 16, 2014)
- Add: piece symbol customization.
- Add: navigation board next to the move list (not only in a popup frame).
- Fix several bugs related to PGN game parsing and rendering.
- Code refactoring (use the jQuery widget framework for PGN rendering in particular).
- Provide minified versions of the JS scripts.
2.4.3 (May 12, 2014)
- Plugin icon & banner.
2.4.2 (May 10, 2014)
- Update the documentation and add links toward Yo35.org.
2.4.1 (April 30, 2014)
- Improve code robustness with respect to dynamically loaded content (e.g. through AJAX requests).
2.4 (April 26, 2014)
- German translation (thanks to mliebelt).
- Fix browser compatibility issue (bug with the FEN dialog, reported as issue #5).
- PHP code refactoring (backend).
2.3.2 (April 19, 2014)
- Tested up to WordPress 3.9.
- Minor code cleaning.
2.3.1 (April 4, 2014)
- Fix warnings issued by WP in debug mode.
2.3 (March 16, 2014)
- Dialog to create/edit FEN chess diagrams in the text editor.
2.2.2 (March 13, 2014)
- Improve compatibility with IE <= 10.
2.2.1 (February 16, 2014)
- Fix parsing bug (castle moves with check, reported as issue #3).
2.2 (February 16, 2014)
- Faster rendering of the chess diagrams.
2.1 (January 3, 2014)
- Compatibility mode to avoid conflicts with other plugins that might use the
2.0.1 (December 13, 2013)
- Tested up to WordPress 3.8.
2.0 (November 10, 2013)
- Add: flip attribute (to change the orientation of the chessboards).
- Auto-size the chessboard in the navigation frame generated with
1.99.6 (November 4, 2013)
- Documentation for the PGN tag.
1.99.5 (November 2, 2013)
- Fix issue #1.
- Documentation for the FEN tag.
1.99.4 (November 2, 2013)
- Clean the credits page in the backend.
- Fix: missing theming for the jQuery widgets in the backend.
1.99.3 (November 1, 2013)
- Fix: use the WP theming for jQuery dialogs to avoid conflicts between CSS.
1.99.2 (October 31, 2013)
- Fix: rpbchessboard.php is renamed as rpb-chessboard.php (allocated slug name on the WP repository).
1.99.1 (October 31, 2013)
- First public version.