Display monthly archives by year with links to each month in the following compact format:
2012 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 2011 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 2010 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Serves as a drop in replacement for
wp_get_archives( array( 'type' => 'monthly' ) );.
If you’re interested in contributing to the code behind this plugin, it’s also hosted on GitHub:
- Extract the zip file, drop the contents in your wp-content/plugins/ directory, and then activate from the Plugins page.
- Edit your theme file (e.g. sidebar.php) and replace the WordPress template tag
- You can also add it as a widget to any sidebar
How do I make the years display in ascending order (2010, 2011, 2012…) instead of descending (the default)?
The monthchunks function takes two optional parameters and the first is
year_order, which accepts two string values:
Can I make months display in a format other than the default month number (1, 2, 3…)?
The monthchunks function takes two optional parameters and the second is
month_format, which accepts three string values:
"abbreviation". The “alpha” format displays the first letter of the month (e.g. J, F, M…) which may not make sense in all languages. The “abbreviation” format displays the language-specific abbreviation for the month, e.g. (Jan, Feb, Mar…).
Contributors & Developers
“Monthchunks” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“Monthchunks” has been translated into 2 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “Monthchunks” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Fix text domain
- Changed l10n to adjust to new plugin translation process
** Updated text-domain
- Fix PHP Notice, incorrectly using variable instead of instance field. (thanks Birgir Erlendsson – @birgire)
- Improve class constructor
- Fix backwards compatibility calls to monthchunks
- Fix admin area issue
- Major refactor of the code
** Created different files to split the backend logic and the widget
- Includes widget support
- Added localization templates
- Added the new “abbreviation” mode for month display (thanks Xavi Ivars)
- Use WordPress’ Date and Time Locale object to localize month names in tooltip
- Change default year_order sort to descending (more closely matches wp_get_archives)
- Appropriately escape html output (though largely unnecessary)
- Fix: only display archive link for months with posts (not pages)
- Generate output with a single SQL query, instead of N+1, where N was the number of years of post archives
- Add year_order and month_format options
title="month_name year"attribute (aka tooltips) to the month links
- Lmited visible archives to posts with post_status = ‘publish’
- Revise pretty html output slightly
- Add semifix for year = “0000” bug
<ul></ul>output to make monthchunks more of a drop-in replacement for
- Add logic to de-link from current month
- Sort years in chronlogical order
- Don’t print separator space after last month of year
wp_postsas table name
- Use WordPress’
get_month_link()function to output link to monthly archive (thanks raphaële)
- Initial version