The Daily Chess Puzzle Widget is a convenient way to add a puzzle to the sidebar of your blog. Each day a new puzzle is posted with three difficulty levels as well as a hint option. The puzzle is updated daily by the good folks at shredderchess.com. From the widget menu you have the ability to select the size of board you would like to show.
This widget wouldn’t be possible without the help of php guru Aaron Brown. Thanks, Aaron!
– The first version of this plugin adds the ability to select the size of chess puzzle that gets displayed in your sidebar as well as the ability to display a custom title.
Installing Daily Chess Puzzle Widget is very easy and does not require any template modification in most cases. The only requirement is that your template supports widgets. Just follow these steps:
- Upload the folder ‘daily-chess-puzzle-widget’ to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Under “appearance” on the “widgets” page you will see a “Daily Chess Puzzle Widget” that you can drag into your sidebar. Select the size of puzzle you want to display.
- What do the different sizes represent?
Tiny is the equivalent of 148×197 pixels.
Small is the equivalent of 184×229 pixels.
Medium is the equivalent of 220×261 pixels.
Large is the equivalent of 256×293 pixels.
Very Large is the equivalent of 310×341 pixels
- Are there any other customizations that I can make to the puzzles?
No. Unfortunately, the appearance of the puzzles are controlled completely by shredderchess.com so you can’t customize the colors or board in any way at this time.
Contributors & Developers
“Daily Chess Puzzle Widget” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Daily Chess Puzzle Widget” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.